Do You Understand the Risks of Metabolic Syndrome?
If you're an adult in America, there's a 27 percent chance you have metabolic
syndrome. Even though it affects 55 million people in the United States, you may
not have heard of this syndrome much less understand it. It is actually a group
of metabolic disorders--obesity, insulin resistance, abnormal cholesterol
levels, and high blood pressure. While each of these problems can lead to
cardiovascular disease, stroke, and diabetes, the collective effect of metabolic
syndrome significantly increases the risk of death from these diseases.
The good news is that you can overcome this deadly syndrome. Because of the
complexity of metabolic syndrome, most people have many questions about it. The
authors, an endocrinologist and a cardiologist, have treated thousands of
patients. They understand your concerns and questions about this potentially
deadly syndrome. Among the questions they answer in Overcoming Metabolic
- How do you know if you have metabolic syndrome?
- What is insulin resistance? Why is it such a critical issue?
- How do you overcome metabolic syndrome?
- How important is weight loss?
- What is the role of exercise?
- Which medications are used to treat the syndrome?
A Simple Guide to a Complex Disorder